Monday, June 13, 2022

Deliver

 

Our word for the month is DELIVER!

Psalms 91:14-16 says 14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. 15 When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. 16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” (ESV English Standard Version)

But......you know me and I am a word nut especially when it comes to scripture! 

I looked up the King James Version which is supposed to be the closest English Version of the Hebrew words used in the Old Testament.  The KJV version uses the word "deliver" in verse 14 and verse 15 while the above ESV version uses the word "deliver" in verse 14 and "rescue" in verse 15.

When we talked about this we assumed the words were interchangeable but they are 2 different words in Hebrew!

The first "deliver" (vs 14) is the Hebrew word "palet" meaning to slip out, cause to deliver, carry away, escape. 

The second "deliver" is the Hebrew word "chalats" meaning to pull off, to depart, strengthen, to arm, to prepare, to deliver and equip for fight.  This word "chalats" pertains to prepared and equipped armed soldiers ready for battle!  Oh wow!!

Now I don't know how each of you feel about the power of these verses of the Lord God speaking to the believer but it really hit my spirit.  These words are not the same and are not interchangeable.  The first “deliver” in verse 14, the Lord is telling us that He will help us escape, carry us away.  He says He will protect us because we love Him and He loves us.  The second “deliver” (rescue in ESV) in verse 15, He is telling us that in times of trouble He will give us the armor, ammunition, and strength as His soldiers who are in a battle.  Remember we talked about the spiritual battle going on right now.  We can see it but those who live in the world are blinded to the things of the spirit.  All they see is death and destruction which is why fear and anger are at such high levels today.  They need that “mustard seed” of faith to open their eyes and their hearts.

Here is Deb’s version of these verses:

14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name.

15 When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will “arm him, strengthen him, prepare him for battle” and honor him.

16 With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

 

P.S. We missed our sisters who were either not feeling well or out and about spreading the word of God to their families and friends! Our next meeting will be on July 10th and if there weather is sunny and dry we should move out chairs outside!! I love you all and pray the Lord blesses you each day till we see each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment