Thursday, July 28, 2022

Speaking In Another Language

I found this very informative write up at Got Questions that helped me with more understanding of "speaking in tongues" or more correctly, "speaking in other languages".

https://www.gotquestions.org/praying-in-tongues.html

This following paragraph stood out for me as I have no idea if I speak in tongues of another identifiable human language as no one has ever told me "I hear you speaking in __________ language!"

"Acts chapter 2 describes the first occurrence of the gift of tongues. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles spoke in tongues. Acts chapter 2 makes it clear that the apostles were speaking in a human language (Acts 2:6-8). The word translated “tongues” in both Acts chapter 2 and 1 Corinthians chapter 14 is glossa which means “language.” It is the word from which we get our modern English word “glossary.” Speaking in tongues was the ability to speak in a language the speaker does not know, in order to communicate the gospel to someone who does speak that language. In the multicultural area of Corinth, it seems that the gift of tongues was especially valuable and prominent. The Corinthian believers were able to better communicate the gospel and God’s Word as a result of the gift of tongues. However, Paul made it abundantly clear that even in this usage of tongues, it was to be interpreted or “translated” (1 Corinthians 14:13, 27). A Corinthian believer would speak in tongues, proclaiming God’s truth to someone who spoke that language, and then that believer, or another believer in the church, was to interpret what was spoken so that the entire assembly could understand what was said."

This is what the scripture says in Acts 2:1-8 and I have underlined and changed the color to red on the words that jump out to me,

'And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?'

I have no doubt about being filled with the Holy Spirit personally.  I can feel him in me and I have heard him audibly speak to me one time.  He is as real to me as a person standing next to me but I am unable to see him visually with my eyes.  I do not know if the tongue/language that I speak is or is not another language of another nation here on earth since I cannot verify it.  I have never spoken out in a public meeting to test it.  I thought it was a prayer language but apparently a "prayer language" is something totally different but I do use this same language in my prayer time on occasion.  I do have several other gifts from the Holy Spirit so if speaking in another language is not one I have, I have no problem with that.  He is God.  I am not.

Got Questions has a good response about the Spiritual Gifts I also thought worth mentioning.

https://www.gotquestions.org/spiritual-gifts-survey.html

We are each uniquely and wonderfully made by the Creator and I cannot and will not say one is or isn't filled with the Holy Spirit because another human says so. I cannot and will not say one is or isn't saved by the blood of Jesus if they have been baptized in his name and walk as a follower of Christ. The final answer comes from God.

Jesus told us that we would be known by our fruit.  He does not say how many or how few fruit but only that a barren tree will be cut down and burned.  I see much of the fruit in my 68 years of life and feel no shame.  I will continue to do my best to remain fruitful for my Lord until I draw my last breath.  Thanks for hearing me out as I continue learning, seeking and growing by the revelation and discernment of the Spirit of God in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment