Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Surrender

I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ in 1975.  I did not continually walk in His way and was selfish most of the time.  As the past 48 years have progressed I can honestly say I am not near as selfish as I was back then.  I want to please Him but still fall short just like the scriptures say.  I try time after time to surrender all of my remaining selfish ways but can't seem to get rid of all of me.  My problem is that I have always liked me.  Enough to cause me problems and troubles for my entire life. 

 

Jesus never had one selfish bone in His body.  He was perfect and He still is perfect.  I will never be perfect while I breathe air on this planet.  No matter how much I try or how much I surrender there will always be that one things I can't get passed.  That one little lie.  That one little word about another person.  That one feeling of distrust.  That one memory that pops into my brain and cause me grief and guilt. 

 

I know that surrendering is something we all should do and we do many times with many things.  Of course the ultimate and most important is that surrender to Jesus to admit we are dirty and lowly creatures filled with all that is despicable.  We are worse than the animals that roam the earth because we have the mental ability and the choice to chose to do good and be upright in our actions.  They are animals with only animal tendencies.  But how often do we look just like a wild animal?

 

When we surrender to Jesus the Holy Spirit comes to live with and in us to help guide and teach us.  He is with every single believer in the world today.  Some hear Him.  Some see Him moving.  Some do as He instructs.  Some fight Him.   Even when we fight Him He never leaves us.  He sticks to us like glue whether we want Him to or not.  We can turn our backs and walk away but He continues to follow us wherever we go.  Once He's there, He's there.  Once He's in, He's in.  I am so grateful for His patience and endurance with rebellious me!  I don't want to hurt Him but I am still selfish.

 

The Apostle Paul spoke many time of "missing the mark."  Of not being worthy.  Of letting the flesh rule over him.  I understand this well.  But as the years continue on for me I will continue on for Him.  I will continue to try to surrender all of my selfishness and my icky human ways because of my love for Jesus.  I refuse to quit trying to be a better servant.  A better bride.  A better woman.  A better human being. 

 

Galatians 5:16-18 (NKJV)

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

 

Romans 8:6 (NKJV)

For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

 

James 1:14 (NKJV)

But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

 

Part of our walk with the Lord for decades is to learn His ways.  To follow His teachings and to become more and more an image of our Father.  We will continue to experience failure and feel unworthy to be called His children but He has already made a way for us to receive His forgiveness and mercy.  Do we really think He doesn't know our hearts hurt when we are disobedient?  Did you every experience tears as a child when we knew that Dad found out that we had lied about breaking the vase?  I cried when I knew Dad was going to discipline me for my failure to do as told or hide the truth of what I had done.  Our Heavenly Father does the same.  He wants us to learn, be better and do better. Always.  I will continue to surrender until such a time as I no longer have anything left to surrender and am fully and completely as He made me to be.  Perfect.  At that time I will be looking into His magnificent face!

 

Galatians 6:9 (NKJV)

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

 

Romans 8:1 (NKJV)

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

 

I Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV)

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

 

I John 2:17 (NKJV)

And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment